Wonder Reading Extension
Mr. Tushman
By DarkAngelBoy64

Image result for Wonder mr tushman





“Kinder Than Is Necessary”
- J. M. Barrie’s The Little White Bird
Part 1 is at the beginning of the story, and part 2 is at the end.


Part 1

The “Chosen Ones”

The first week of school was quickly coming, and I had to get ready for it. Before, in the summer, I got a call. It was a call from a woman named Isabel Pullman. “Hello.” She told me. “We are the parents of the student who had their test at home, remember? And we gave you all the pictures?”
I told her yes, and asked what was the matter. “We would like you to show Auggie around the school, and maybe get some of the kinder children to be friends with Auggie?”
“Of course,” I replied. “I know just who to choose.”
So the next day I called a few parents; Charlotte’s mother, Julian’s mother, and Jack’s mother. Julian’s arrogant mother thought her son was a “chosen one”. “Oh thank you Mr. Tushman, for picking my amazing little child!” She squealed like a child who had gotten her only wish for her entire life. “He’s obviously a perfect child. Thank you so much!”
I sighed when I put down the phone. Mrs. Albans thought highly of her son, Julian, but I wasn’t so sure that Julian was the perfect child she believed him to be.

4
Jack, Julian, and Charlotte

When the children came into my office, here were the reactions. Jack was fidgety and looked scared and nervous. Charlotte was standing up straight, and fake-smiling at me, and Julian was leaning against a wall, looking bored. “So!” Charlotte said, “When do we get to see this special kid?”
“Oh, just a warning guys, please don’t disrespect this child. He looks different, but really he is a good kid. Don’t overreact. You guys will show him around the school and be is friends during this school year.”
“Ok!” All the kids chimed in.
We walked into my office, and I heard Julian gasp and mutter something to Jack. Then Jack muttered something back. I heard, “I told you!”
“So guys, this is Auggie. Show him around the school!”
The kids left the office with Auggie, and from down the hall, I already heard Charlotte telling Auggie about the school. I smiled and went back in my office to do some paperwork.

The Fifth Grade

When the children came into the office, something had happened. I saw it on their faces. Also, both Charlotte and Jack were kind of icing Julian a lot. “How was it, sweetie?” August’s mother exclaimed.
August pushed her away, undoubtedly embarrassed.
As the kids walked out, I pulled Charlotte aside and asked her, “What happened with Julian?”
She looked surprised, then said. “Well, Julian was like, What happened to your face? Where you in a fire or something? Then Jack and I were like, That’s rude! and that’s what happened. “
I smiled and said, “You are dismissed. Charlotte, we adults actually know more than we let on.”
She smiled and left. Then I sat back down at my desk, to do more paperwork.


Part 2


Julian Albans

Julian Albans is a supposedly perfect and kind boy, according to his mom. As far as I know, starting a game about not touching a boy, but if you touch the boy, you’ll die if you don’t wash in 30 seconds or whatever. When I heard about this, at first I thought that Julian might have had a hard time adjusting. Then I heard about the discrimination and got a bit angry. Then, I had an idea. I picked up my phone and texted Mr. Browne.

Text Messages

From: ltushman@beecherschool.edu
Cc: lbrowne@beecherschool.edu
Subject: Precepts

Hi Thomas. I was wondering if you could make your October precept, something along the lines of, “Your deeds are your monuments”? The precept is referring to some things that are happening in the school, including one of our new students.
Thank you,
Lawrence Tushman
From: lbrowne@beecherschool.edu
Cc: ltushman@beecherschool.edu
Subject: Precepts

Hi Lawrence. I will make sure the precept is just that. I think that there are certain children encouraging this “plague” game if you know who I’m talking about.
Thanks,
Thomas Browne

From: lbrowne@beecherschool.edu
Cc: ltushman@beecherschool.edu
Subject: Precepts

Thank You! And yes, I know the specific children invoking this game.

Sure

Julian Albans is going to leave Beecher Prep. When I invited Mrs. and Mr. Albans to talk about Julian’s mean notes, Mrs.  Albans started shouting, and Mr. Albans told me that Julian would not be coming to Beecher Prep next year. I said, “Sure.”
Mr. Albans frowned. I walked away, and Julian Albans walked out of the room.

Kinder Than Necessary

When I walked up to the stage, I said my introductions, then said, "But in another book by J. M. Barrie called The Little White Bird . . . he writes . . ." I started flipping through a small book on the podium until I found the page I was looking for, and then I put on my reading glasses. " 'Shall we make a new rule of life . . . always to try to be a little kinder than is necessary?' "
The rest of the speech flashed past, and certain students were sure to understand “kinder than is necessary”. Too bad Julian wasn’t here. Then, with a flourish, I said, “Without further ado, this year I am very proud to award the Henry Ward Beecher medal to the student whose quiet strength has carried up the most hearts. So will August Pullman please come up here to receive his award?”
August stood, shocked, in the crowd, and kids applauded and shoved Auggie to the stage. As he grinned at the crowd from the stage, I felt a surge of happiness. This year might’ve been a hard year, but August’s quiet bravery and kindness pushed him through. People have finally seen Auggie as he really is. A kind, trusting, and fun boy. I learned something too. Sometimes, you just need to meet and get close to a person to understand them. In other words, don’t judge a book by its cover.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog